2017 Young Authors’ and Illustrators
The annual Bangor Public Library Young Authors’ and Illustrators is here! The purpose of this is to give encouragement and recognition to young authors’ achievements in creative writing.
- Please submit your book by August 31, 2017 at 6:00 p.m. Entries can be dropped off at the Bangor Public Library beginning August 1. Entries from authors who have outstanding overdue library materials and/or fines will not be considered.
- It is open to children in grades K through 12 who reside in the Library Service area (Bangor Borough, East Bangor Borough, Portland, Roseto, Upper Mount Bethel, Washington Township and portion of Lower Mount Bethel Township in the Bangor Area School District.)
- The story must be original. The ideas, words and pictures must be your own, not copied from anywhere else.
- Please leave at least 1 ½” margin on the sides of your entry.
- Do not fasten your pages together (no glue or staples, paper clips are recommended.
- Text can be handwritten or typed. In the K-2 category only, an adult may assist with the words but please do not change words or improve the text.
- Please use non-smear markers, crayons or any permanent medium for illustrations. No photographs are allowed.
- A title page is required and the cover page that states the title of the book. A substantial illustration may be included on the cover page, but is not required.
- An option (but not a requirement) is for the young author to add an author’s page at the end of the story. A photo or drawing of the author may be included; and a mini-bio telling about the author’s interests, family, or future goals.
- Paper should not exceed 8 ½ x 11 inches and should be durable and unlined. Cover page should be made of regular paper with at least a ½” margin all the way around. COVER PAGE MUST BE THE SAME SIZE AS THE INSIDE OF THE BOOK!
- All entries must submit two copies.
- Everyone will receive a complementary hardbound copy of their own book! In addition, a hardbound copy of each book will be placed on display in the Bangor Public Library, and become part of the Library’s permanent collection.
- The following information must be written on the envelope containing the manuscript: the grade the author is entering into in August, 2017; the author’s name, phone number, and address.
- All the young authors and their families will be invited to a book signing at the Bangor Public Library. Light refreshments will be served.